Published on Jan 28, 2015
The richest 1% will own the majority of the world’s wealth, according to a new Inequality Report published by the non-profit Oxfam.
“The combined wealth of the richest 1 per cent will overtake that of the other 99 per cent of people this year unless the current trend of rising inequality is checked.” the report says.
Today, the world’s richest 80 individuals own more wealth than the poorest half of the world combined. This unbelievable milestone means that the richest 1% of the world will own more of the world’s wealth than everyone else put together. That is mind blowing!
Protests are planned ahead of the World Economic Forum in Davos.
The report comes just ahead of the World Economic Forum in Davos, reported The guardian. Perhaps this indicates that inequality will be a major topic of focus at the event.
What do you think? Do we really want to live in a world where the 1% own more than the rest of us combined? Please share your thoughts in the comment section blow!
99%, Inequality, occupy wall street, poverty, richest 1%